Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New poster for NEW MOON
























Hey guys! Here's my first 2 cents!
Literally, about 5 minutes ago, the new poster for the Upcoming film THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON (2009) due for release November 20,2009 hit the internet by Summit Pictures. Following on the footsteps of the first hit film Twilight (2008) this sequel has a lot to live up to by it's fan-base, while the film received a lukewarm reaction from critics. With some background on my experiences with Twilight, I hate what they did with "vampires" by making them shine in daylight because effectively what is done is that these vampires are created to be unstoppable and where is the conflict for them in the story? I know I am going to get a lot of flack for saying this, but this type of vampire is going to be more concerned with what hair-style they are going to "shine" in today. But, I do have a respect for the series for trying to tell a vampire romance story, but it just needs something extra to make to special. I saw the film, I got some entertainment out of it. I didn't think it was bad and I wanted to hate the shit out of it, but I just have some gripes and I am ok with it. It doesn't piss me off as Love Guru (2008)does (but I'll save that for a future rant), but I can sit through them and find some cool aspects. I'm ok with the series, and I understand it is very flawed with gaps.
Enough of my reactions to the first film, my first reaction to this post was somewhat of an "This is an ok poster" My problem with the poster is that it looks too much like a "fan-poster." The problem with this is that millions of fans of the Twilight series have created numerous fan posters before a single frame of the first film was shown. This looks like another fan-poster. The use of the sepia-tone is one of the more amateur things you can use in photoshop. Sepia tone is great, but it just feels like everything I had seen before. 
My other problem with the poster is that it looks like the filmmakers are trying to market this as a Underworld (2003) rip off with the whole fact of a human caught in between a feud between "Vampires" and "Werewolves" and it just seems as if they are trying to catch that fan-base with the poster. That is fine from a business angle, but it also misleading in the fact that it isn't going to be that. People are going to be expecting these two guys to fight like two dogs and they aren't. I can already see the negative word of mouth building upon this poster.
With all the negatives out of the way, what this poster does really well is set up the fact that this taking a different direction in terms of a love-interest and what the conflict of the story seems to be. It gives the main jist of the story in a panel and that's what a good poster should do. Theres my two cents on this poster. I know the fan-girls are going to feel that tingle when they see this poster. I am going to be seeing this film at some point and I'm ok with it. Overall, the poster is ok. Just have to wait until the movies comes out!
- Here's two cents!
Afg1988 OUT!




No comments:

Post a Comment