Thursday, June 18, 2009

YEAR ONE REVIEW!


Hey guys! Just got back from a pre-screening of Harold Ramis' YEAR ONE starring Jack Black and Michael Cera, produced by Judd Apatow.

Bottom line? The movie was ok. I found myself laughing at seeing the usual Apatow crew and noticing where they were scattered. The story didn't really cut it out for me, as much as the message behind the film was strong enough, but everything else was kind of flat.
The Positive aspects about this film as with any Apatow film is the casting. Peppered throughout the entire film are cameos from Apatow regulars in unexpected roles (Bill Hader, McLovin, Hank Azeria, Paul Rudd, and Kyle Gass to name a few) Jack Black and Michael Cera work surprisingly well for this type of film. I am personally always annoyed by Michael Cera doing his whole "I am uncomfortable in my own skin with members of the opposite sex" act that I thought I was going to hate him, but I actually did like him in the film. Faring as well was Jack Black. He pulled his whole Jack Blackism as he does in every film, but had fun watching him in this. I thought the one character that stole the show a lot of the time he was onscreen was Oliver Platt as the High Priest. He was hilarious and the conclusion his character comes to just has you laughing all through. The low points of this film is the storyline. The storyline is very cheesey and predictable and seems to just shoehorn biblical elements for the sake of parodying them. The scenes that worked the best for Me was in the first act and 3rd act and beyond. I wasn't really bored, but that second act was real weak and it was leaving me a bit bored at times. Overall, the movie was ok and it was entertaining. However, I can't quite recommend this one to everybody. This film seems like a misstep for the guy who wrote classics such as Caddyshack and Ghostbusters. It definitely is one of the weaker of the Apatow films to come out. I can't say it's horrible, but I can definitely say that it's a solid RENTAL. Don't pay to see it one the big screen, you'll have a much better time being able to have a few drinks and watch this film (as I was able to for this screening :D) but it's an ok film, just be sure to rent it at best if you really want to see it.

There ya go, Disapointed by Judd and crew. Maybe this will be their slight start of a downfall or will this be Judd's Drillbit Taylor and will he redeem himself with Funny People this summer? Time will tell! Till next time guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment